Wednesday, March 18, 2015

How to Commend Your Bus Driver

Today is the day. You've decided you're finally going to let us know how much you appreciate your bus driver. You grab a cup of coffee, sit down at your computer, open up a new document...

And this happens:




Writer's block! 

Don't worry. We're here to help! Commendations don't have to be formal or lengthy-- just speak (or in this case, write) from the heart and go from there. Here are some examples of actual commendations our coach operators recently received:

“I ride the route 412 that leaves McCollum Park and Ride at 6:47 a.m.  I must compliment our bus driver.  He is kind, cautious and makes sure we arrive on time.  He goes out of his way when bus riders ask him for help.  On January 9, he did an act of kindness that shouldn’t go unnoticed.  Please let him know I say thank you!”

“On February 14 I rode the northbound 116 that arrived at Ash Way Park and Ride at 19:02.  The 116 was a little late arriving and I needed to catch the northbound 201.  Sarah, the operator of the 116 honked at the 201 and got that driver’s attention so he waited and I was able to make my connection.  This really made my Valentine’s Day!”

“I ride the first southbound 880 at 5:40 a.m. from 35th and 148th.  The operator of this route is very friendly and a good driver.  He makes the ride fun.  Please let him know I think he’s great!”

“I want to commend the driver of the route 115 on January 30 as he was amazing.  He took the time to explain to me how to ride a different bus, explaining the map and even tried to hold the other bus for me.  I really appreciated his help."

Key things to have in your commendation:
  • Driver name (if you know it)
  • Time, Route and Day (so we can find out who the driver is so s/he gets their commendation)

Commendations are gathered and shared with drivers via a formal letter (like this one, left) and put in their employee file. Your commendation will help the driver earn recognition and service awards.

So, when you’ve got your commendation ready to go, you can:

Remember, commendations are excepted (and welcomed!) year-round and not just on Bus Driver Appreciation Day (March 18).



Have you written a commendation lately? What writing tips do you have for others?

2 comments:

  1. Conner was great on the 510/512 two weeks ago. He was very kind and let me ride a round trip to stay safe near the South Everett Station. I wanted to let you know he looks out for his customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To whom it may concern:

    I would like to commend the Bus diver who drives the B70 Dyker heights route in the morning. (8th Ave and 73rd stop) He is always on time and very pleasant with the passengers. He is especially nice to my 3 year old son. My son looks forward to riding the bus every morning and talking to him. I would like to know his name so we can both greet him professionally like he greets us in the mornings. My email is bnazario1223@aol.com. P.S. satisfied customer.

    ReplyDelete